Begin by making a sitting cat, then
try other animal "sitters."
1. Roll out an egg shape and press
the bigger end onto the board so that it stands up.
2. Attach a pancake to the bottom
half of each side of the egg to make the back legs.
3. Add a small sausage foot to the
bottom of each pancake. Add two longer sausages to the
front of the body about three-quarters of the way up.
These are the front legs.
4. Add a round ball to the top of
the egg for a head. To make ears, make two small drop
shapes and press one onto each side of the head.
5. Press two small pancakes together
onto the bottom half of the cat's face for a muzzle.
Add a small ball to the bottom of the muzzle for a chin
and another to the top of the muzzle for a nose.
6. Attach two ovals to the cat's
face for eyes. Draw a short line down each oval with
a sharp pencil to make the pupil. Draw on some whiskers.
7. Add a sausage tail to complete
your cat. You can turn the cat's head or add a tongue.
Add some thin snake shapes to make your cat striped.
You can find more tips,
ideas and complete projects in Barbara Reid's book Fun
With Modeling Clay